Los Vaqueros Riding Club was officially formed in 1946, in Big Bear Lake, California. Early on, members rode and marked the early pioneer sites and points of historical interest in Holcomb Valley, north of Big Bear Valley. Vaqueros members assisted in planning the route of the Pacific Crest Trail through the San Bernardino National Forest around Big Bear, and lobbied for its permanent establishment.
The Club started sponsoring rodeos in 1947, using stock from local ranchers. For a long time the Annual Labor Day Rodeos were a major source of support for local horse community concerns.
Los Vaqueros Riding Club was incorporated as a non-profit in 1952, and purchased its current arena grounds in 1965. Currently many types of events are held there each year, including cow penning, Gymkanas, clinics, and horse shows. The arena is available to members for use in schooling their horses, or for just horsing around.